Galeos (tope shark)  are found around the coast of the Mediterranean.  The genus Galeorhinus galeus is derived from the Greek words “galeos” meaning a shark and “rhinos” which means nose.

Tope is closely related to the blue shark and shares many of the features of this fish.   Tope reach 1 – 2 metres length and their flesh is white, firm and very tasty.

English language common names include tope shark, eastern school shark, flake, greyboy, greyshark, Penny’s dog, schnapper shark etc. See other Common Names of this fish here.

The traditional way of cooking galeos in Greece is deep frying the fish and serving it with Skordalia.    This would be a delicious dish for winter but with too many calories and not for diet.   Being on the Mediterranean Diet, I have been trying to incorporate more fish in our diet and have been trying new ways of cooking them healthier, so marinating it and baking it makes a much lighter and healthy meal.

I marinated the fish and then baked it in the oven.

The recipe is included in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!

Greek style Horiatiki  Spinach Salad, recipe by Ivy

• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon Greek honey
  • 1 tablespoon Greek yoghurt
  • 1 teaspoon mustard, preferably Dijon
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp oregano

Put all the salad dressing ingredients in a food processor and mix.

Place the spinach in a large bowl, add the dressing and mix well to coat.

Add all the remaining ingredients and toss well.

Refrigerate for half an hour before serving for all the flavours to mix.

That’s not all.  How about some dessert to go with it.  My recipe Mahalebi with Strawberries would be a great choice and it is in a contest for recipes from Cyprus. Hope you will take a minute and vote for my recipe here.

Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

43 Comments on Galeos Marinatos (Marinated Tope Shark Fish) and Greek Style Horiatiki Spinach Salad

1. Peter G from Souvlaki For The Soul says:

We call this fish “flake” Ivy…so easy to prepare and very refreshing with that salad.

2. A very beautiful and delicious fish dish…and how I love that summer salad!

3. I like the idea of the mustard in the marinade. Surely that goes well!
    My recent post Roundup and voting – 8th mediterranean cooking event – Cyprus

A healthy and lipsmackingly good meal! I've never had that fish, but I would definitely try!

5. Lori Lynn says:

That is my kind of meal! Love the marinade and the salad dressing.
    Thanks for the lesson on Tope.
    The plate looks beautiful, so fresh and colorful.

6. Lazaro says:

Love this dish. Wonderful flavors and colorful for the eyes. Never tried that shark, but I would certainly try your dish. Two thumbs up!

I voted for both your recipes Ivy! Good luck. This is so fresh, healthy and delicious looking! I would love to try shark.
    My recent post Barbecue Meatball Sandwiches with Onions and Cole Slaw

8. Nadji says:

Quel menu, je passe manger chez toi quand tu veux.
    Magnifique photo en plongée.
    A bientôt.

9. traveler says:

Love the marinade and the salad dressing. Thank you Ivy!
    My recent post Jun 12, Samos Island

10. best cook says:

Love the marinade and the salad dressing too. Thanks!

11. Katerina says:

This is a nice light, summery dish. Especially these days with the thermometer reaching 37 degrees.
    My recent post Peach Sorbet

12. alisons says:

i love this dish,fish and salad,my favorites!the photos(including the dessert) are beautiful!

13. Jen Cheung says:

holy smokes! this is so well done! so professionally made! your sucha a pro! i would love to try some of this 😉 hhehehe

My recent post Ajisen Ramen

14. tigerfish says:

I thought I would have known something when you gave more names of the fish but nope…I do not know any of the other names too! It is entirely new to me :)
    My recent post Potato Cheese Egg-Pancake-Omelette, rice-cooker ready!

15. Erica says:

That looks delicious,Ivy! I am going to vote for you! Good luck :)

16. Myrto says:

Wow! Ivy this dish looks fantastic! I love galeos and with the salad it is perfect for the summer!
    My recent post Stir fried chilli beef with broccoli and steamed rice

17. jswching says:

I would love to try tope shark one day, sounds interesting to me. Love your Greek salad too, I love to learn how to make different salad as you love, Chinese do not make as much salad as Westerners.
    My recent post Blushing Piña Colada

18. That shark looks like swordfish; I can’t imagine deep-frying two meters of fish! Like your light version better, and great with your spinach salad; you are giving me an idea we just brought back a ton of fresh spinach from the orchard and I have to come up with ways to use it. Your dessert is lovely and you’ve got my vote!

19. Beautiful pieces of fish. Who knew shark was this good? The marinade also sounds delish!
    My recent post Vote for Me to Get on Oprah

20. Jessica says:

This all looks delicious! YUM!

21. Juliana says:

Ivy, what a nice fish dish…and together with a fantastic salad…great meal! Love the pictures :-)

22. What a great recipe Ivy. I could have fish almost every day of the week and never get bored with it. Especially galeos. Great job!

23. Thank you so much for your lovely comments.
    My recent post Light Milk Mahalebi with Strawberries

24. fimère says:

rien a dire un plat très équilibré, j'aime beaucoup la marinade que tu as utilisée
    bone soirée

25. Cooking with Kait says:

A terrific tope shark recipe. I would much rather have it baked than fried.
    My recent post Vegetable Dumplings

26. Elena says:

Ivy, shark as shark, but salad is great! I will prepare myself, especially as a fan of spinach in salads. A beautiful week!

This looks delicious Ivy!!

28. 5starfoodie says:

The shark looks terrific! we haven't had shark in a long time as we haven't been able to purchase it here recently.

29. Valerie from City|Life|Eats says:

This looks wonderful – I am so going to try this marinade with cod (which would be the closest I could find here to the fish you used). Thank you for stopping by my blog :)

30. Velva says:

This looks wonderful. healthy too! Thanks for sharing this with us.
    My recent post Black Sticky Rice Pudding

31. Awesome. I just had galeos recently in Astoria at Stamatis taverna. It was made the traditional way of course and so good, even still in the morning when my breath continued to stank like skordalia :) I love the healthy flavor you go going on with your cooking!
    My recent post Knott's What?: Boysenberry Phyllo Pie

32. Hopie says:

Looks like a wonderful light summer meal. I love spinach in salad!
    My recent post Cherry Almond Muffins

33. Teresa says:

Ivy, your food dishes ALWAYS look scrumptious. Love the look of that dessert.

34. Heni says:

I never had this type of shark I donnot l think. I will look for it Ivy! but it looks heathy and appealing with the spinach peasant salad!
    My recent post Courgette and yoghurt pasta

35. Jamie says:

Delicious! I rarely make fish and I know I should make and eat it more often. Fabulous marinade and great recipe! Looks so good!

36. […] Read more: Galeos Marinatos (Marinated Tope Shark Fish) and Greek Style … […]