I have always found desserts with sponge cake exciting because there is so much you can do with it to meet your taste bud’s satisfaction. After making the sponge you can experiment in so many ways and with so many different ingredients and flavour.

It’s been quite a long time since I last posted a roulade, so today I decided to post a Roulade with Bergamot and then I remembered that I had made another roulade two years ago which I hadn’t posted, so since half the recipe is the same, I am posting that one as well.

The sponge cake is the one I uasually make in a large baking tin and then it is rolled. The only difference is that I have also added bergamot zest in the sponge.

For the filling I made the same pastry cream I used to make Karaoloi (Cream Horns) only in this cream I also added bergamot zest as well.

Finally I made a chocolate ganache and on top I added white chocolate chips and decorated it with bergamot spoon sweet.

Apple and Chocolate Roulade

The second roulade is the one I made two years ago (I think that is obvious by the quality of the photos). It was one of those days that I wanted to make a dessert and I used whatever ingredients I had at home, so I used apples for the filling.

The sponge cake and ganache are the same. For the filling I used apples which I cooked in the microwave but when they were cooked there were a lot of juices, so I added some meringue cookies which was the only thing I had at hand, to absorb the juices but you can use any biscuits or cookies you like. On the sponge I added a layer of whipped cream, then the apples and made the roulade. I added the ganache and on top and finally I added some extra chocolate shavings on top.

Apple and Chocolate Roulade, recipe by Ivy

Sponge Cake

Chocolate Shavings

For the Filling

3 apples

1 tablespoon butter

3 tablespoons sugar

¼ tsp cinnamon

Cook the apples in the microwave for 8 minutes on high (800 W) or until soft.

Set aside to cool and mix in some meringue cookies or any other cookies or biscuits to absorb juices.

For whipping cream

250 ml heavy cream

2 tsp icing sugar

1 tsp vanilla essence

Whip cream with the other ingredients until peaks form and refrigerate until ready to use.

Putting the roulade together

Bake sponge cake for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool and spread the whipped cream, then the apple filling and form it into a roulade. Cover with the ganache and when it begins to cool add some chocolate shavings on top.

Refrigerate before serving.

Other relevant recipes:

Oranges and Lemon Roulades

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

23 Comments on Chocolate Roulades

1. Yum! I've never made a roulade, I've been too scared of breaking it.
    My recent post Greek almond crescent biscuits

2. Eftychia says:

Ivy, summer is approaching… How are we going to stay fit with such delcious desserts that you are suggesting? Please return to your healty salads and fish posts :-))))
    Seriously now, this desserts look perfect!!

A delicious dessert!

4. Banana Wonder says:

This looks ridiculously good Ivy! I have never made a roulade, though I have eaten a few :-) You don't see them too often in the states (well at least on the west Coast). I love how you used the bergamont zest too. Way to kick it up a notch. Thanks for posting this recipe!

5. Priya says:

Fabulous and very inviting dessert..
    My recent post Dudh Diye Lau – Bengali Bottlegourd Curry

6. Caffettiera says:

Roulades are so good and so easy, once you get the techniques for not breaking the sponge (which happens to me now and again, and any time I resolve to take a picture of them..). Bergamot and chocolate must be super good.

My recent post As a starter a cappuccino- please

7. Annamaria says:

Πώς γλυκιά αυτή η συνταγή. Μπράβα, ως συνήθως.
    My recent post Lo spuntino del giardiniere

8. Adam Green says:

This recipe looks amazing! When my recipes call for "Chocolate chips," I substitute them with "Xocai Healthy Chocolate."
    Their "chocolate" is full of "flavinols" and "Dark chocolate" has actually been proven to be good for you!
    Because "Xocai" "cold presses" all their "cocoa," the "good stuff" is preserved and packed full of "heart healthy antioxidants!"

~Adam Paul Green http://mxi.myvoffice.com/cacaopow/ http://myxocai.com/cacaopow/dr-q-a http://myxocai.com/cacaopow/science-of-chocolate

My recent post New Chocolate Site – Adam’s Washington Energy Sugar Free Chocolate Blog

9. Paula says:

looks absolutey delicious with this chocolate on top :)
    My recent post Wuzetka

10. Kostas says:

Ow! Roulades really rocks! Greeting from greece :)
    My recent post 6 χρήσιμες SEO επεκτάσεις για τον Google Chrome

11. Juliana says:

Ivy, I am embarrassed to admit that I never made roulade…seeing yours just inspired me to try. I like the apple and cinnamon filling, looks delicious. Have a wonderful week ahead Ivy :-)

12. 5starfoodie says:

Loving the apple chocolate roulade here, such a wonderful dessert!

13. alison says:

very,very tempting dessert!

14. I've seen a couple of roulade recipes lately and have wondered why I've never made one. I have to try this soon. Both versions here look delicious, and I really like the chocolate glaze.
    My recent post Rosemary-Olive Oil Bread

15. Erica says:

i am on a diet :) You are killing me….this looks fantastic!!!!
    My recent post Lomo de Cerdo con Salsa de Moras Pork Loin with Blackberry Sauce

Your roulade is a glorious sight Ivy! I love the apple filling! I have never made one but have it on my list to tackle soon – hope it turns out as well as this.
    My recent post Italian Cassata Cake

17. Amy says:

Oh, my! Thank you for this recipe. I plan on making this over the weekend. And the chocolate shavings on top make it look beautiful.
    My recent post You Can Find A Home Remedy For Psoriasis

Delightful and delicious as always Ivy! Your cakes are amazing!
    My recent post Lime- Yoghurt and Olive Oil Cake

19. This is such a rich chocolate roulade! Apple filling sounds fabulous.
    My recent post Thyme Lemon Spelt Shortbread Sticks

20. Ancutza says:

yummy idea! Thank you again for yoor partecipation to my contest.

My recent post Vincitori contest raccolta ricette con la pasta fillo

21. I have made hundreds of roulades for my kids while they were growing up and this one appeals to me because of the added flavor of bergamot! What a delightful addition!
    My recent post Pineapple and salmon ceviche

22. Anna says:

I don't know what happened to my post! I just wanted to say that your roulades look amazing! And that im waiting for your book to arrive from Amazon!
    My recent post Our big fat Greek family bbq!

23. Nice to meet you Anna and hope you'll enjoy lots of recipes from it. Hope to see you here again.