Karydopita (walnut cake) is one of the most delicious, traditional Greek cakes. I have already posted two «Karydopita» recipes (see links below) but this new twist of mine is my all times favourite. This time I made it with semolina flour, olive oil, orange syrup and added a chocolate ganache made with orange fruit preserve syrup. I decorated it with orange fruit preserve, which of course paired with chocolate is a killer combination.
I did not make it overly sweet but if you like yours on the sweet side, you just double the amount of the syrup. Also, if you want it more spicy you can add more cinnamon and cloves and if you want it darker you can remove a couple tablespoons of flour and replace them with cocoa. Unfortunately, I was out of cocoa powder.
The chocolate glazing is optional but it’s an amazing addition. If you do not add the orange preserves on top, you can add the walnuts as part of the decoration.
Olive Oil Karydopita with Chocolate and Orange
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 125 grams (about 3/4 cup) sugar
- 5 eggs
- 450 grams fine semolina
- 150 grams walnuts, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 25 grams halved walnuts, for decoration
- Butter to grease the baking dish
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 125 grams couverture chocolate
- 1/2 cup leftover orange spoon sweet syrup
- 4 slices orange spoon sweet
- Prepare the syrup. Put all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Beat the olive oil with sugar on high speed for about 10 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Lower mixer speed to minimum and add all the dry ingredients.
- Grease a 25 x 18 cm (10 x 7 inches) baking dish with butter.
Preheat oven to 180o C / 350o F.
- Pour in the batter and decorate with the walnuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Spoon the cooled syrup over the hot cake and wait until it is absorbed.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a double boiler and mix in the orange syrup.
- Spread it over the cake and decorate with the orange spoon sweet.
Note: If your mixer is not very powerful, whisk the egg whites separately with a pinch of salt until peak form and then gently fold into the batter.
Today is my second son’s Birthday. Unfortunately I am not in Athens to make a cake for him. Happy 29th birthday Kyriacos, with continued health and happiness for a long time to come! Enjoy this virtual sweet today until I come to Athens next week! We Love you!
You can find many more Greek recipes in my cookbook «More Than A Greek Salad», and «Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores.
Other relevant recipes:
Karydopita (Walnut Cake)
Olive oil, Beetroot and Chocolate Karydopita
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,