This is a twist to the Cypriot Tyropita recipe I make with halloumi. However, adding new ingredients to it, makes a totally different savory cake. Instead of adding ham and turkey, you can substitute it with bacon which you have to grill or fry before using and discard the fat. Of course, bacon gives a lovely taste to the recipe but for a more healthy version I prefer using ham and turkey.
This is a very easy recipe as no mixer is involved but you just mix all the ingredients together.
When I last made it I used to take a piece for each of us at the Lake and it was a lovely snack after swimming.
Pepper Cake (My twist to the Cypriot Tyropita)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
- 4 eggs
- 1 can of evaporated milk (410 gr.)
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups of self raising flour
- 3 cups of halloumi or any kind of graviera cheese or kefalograviera (or a mixture of all)
- a pinch of salt (only if you use graviera cheese)
- a pinch of pepper (optional)
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 6 slices of ham, cubed
- 3 slices of turkey, cubed
- 3 bells peppers, 3 different colours of your choice, cut into small pieces
- Dice the peppers and then grate the cheese in a big bowl.
- In a bowl add the eggs, olive oil, milk, ham and turkey, 3 spoonfuls of diced peppers and mix well with a spoon. Add salt and pepper if required and flour until you have the consistency of a cake and not a bread.
- Grease and flour a 26 cm. baking tin or line it with parchment paper. Place the remaining peppers in the tin and then add the mixture on top.
- Preheat oven at 180ο C and bake for about 1 hour until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin and place it upside down, in a platter. Allow to cool before serving.
- If it is not consumed within a day, store the remaining in the refrigerator.
ANTHEM OF THE GAMES (literal translation)
Ancient immortal Spirit, pure father
of beauty, of greatness and of truth,
descend, reveal yourself as lightning here
within the glory of your own earth and sky.
At running and wrestling and at throwing
illuminate in the noble Games’ momentum,
and crown with the unfading branch
and make the body worthy and ironlike.
Plains, mountains and seas shine with you
like a white-and-purple great temple,
and hurries at the temple here, your pilgrim
every nation, o ancient, immortal Spirit.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,