Pasta is one of our family’s favourite dishes and and when I have lots of work to do I always resort to a pasta dish. I put this dish together using ingredients I had at home. If you have cleaned the kalamari in advance or if you use frozen kalamari this dish does not take more than half an hour to prepare.
Serves: 5 – 6
Preparation time: 5 minutes or 15 minutes (to clean kalamari)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 packet linguine (500 grams)
- 500 grams of baby kalamari, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 – 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup red dry wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 kilo fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled and blended or 1 can (500 grams) whole tomatoes, blended
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and cut into pieces
- A few pieces (about 1/2 cup) f fresh red, yellow and green bell peppers
- 4 agaricus (button) mushrooms cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon drained bottled capers, rinsed, patted dry
- 10 large torn fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
Wash kalamari and clean as follows:
Cut the head off and keep just the tentacles making sure to remove the white small ball in between them. Then remove the backbone from inside the Kalamari and remove everything inside and wash well. Then cut into two or three pieces.
Heat olive oil in a pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion and garlic, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add kalamarki and sauté, stirring until it releases its juices. Add wine and stir until the alcohol evaporates and then add bay leaves and tomatoes and reduce heat and simmer, stirring.
Meanwhile cook pasta al dente according to the instructions on the package.
In a non stick frying pan add 1 spoonful of olive oil and sauté the mushrooms and the peppers for 2 minutes.
When the squid is soft it should remain with just a little sauce. Remove the bay leaves and add the pasta, mushrooms, peppers, olives, caper and basil leaves and simmer, stirring, 30 seconds.
Add salt and pepper.
I am submitting this recipe to Psychgrad, of Equal Opportunity Kitchen, who is hosting one of my favourite events, Presto Pasta Nights, created by Ruth, of Once Upon a Feast.