Vol au Vent, plural Vols au Vent (meaning flight in the wind, probably because the puff pastry is very light and airy)  is a baked shell of puff pastry, filled as with either chicken, game, or fish or seafood, such as prawns, in a cream sauce.

I spotted these Vols au vent at my friend Dharm’s site, shortly after Christmas. I had heard of vols au vent but never made them myself and thought they were something difficult to make.

These vols au vent will be filled and sent to Psychgrad, of  Equal Opportunity Kitchen, who is getting married soon and will choose some recipes from her Tried Tested and True 3:  Wedding Edition,  to cook for her guests.

Psychgrad, you won’t believe how easy they are.

Makes:  16 big one, 16 small ones, and about 6 -8 additional with leftovers

Ingredients:

All you need is 1 packet (2 sheets) of  puff pastry and not more than a tablespoon of olive oil.

To begin with, all you have to do is thaw the puff pastry but not completely, just enough to be able to cut it. I used two cookie cutters, one bigger than the other.

I lined a baking tin with parchment paper and cut as many circles from one sheet. I then brushed the edge of each circle with olive oil and started cutting the second sheet with the same cookie cutter.

I then used the smaller one and cut a  second circle (different shape) in the middle.

Preheat oven at 180 degrees C and bake for about 20 – 30 minutes until you get the right golden colour.

Remove from the oven and while they are still hot push the puffed pastry in the middle to make it hollow. Set aside until they cool down before filling.

Do not discard the cut puff pastry circles you have cut the second time but put them on a different tin lined with parchment paper.

When there is no more space to cut smaller circles,  knead all the bits and pieces together and roll the dough in between the two plastic sheets the puff pastry was on, into a rectangular shape about 1 cm thick.

Here’s what I did with it.  I sprinkled some sugar and cinnamon at all the surface.

I then rolled and I cut it into 1 cm slices.

Immediately by the time the first batched was baked I had these ready.

The smaller pieces baked quicker than the thicker pieces so I removed the small ones and continued baking the others until crispy and golden brown.

No puff pastry was wasted at all.

I made both a savory and a sweet filling and I will tell you all about it tomorrow.  In the meantime can you guess what I have made.

I am in Cyprus today and have programmed the post to be published whilst I am away and unfortunately your replies will appear only after I return from Cyprus unless I have access to the internet from my relatives’ computer, he,he,he,  shall see…

Tags: , , , ,

15 Comments on How to make easy Vols au vent

1. arfi says:

I was going to make these when we had the puff pastry challenge, but I thought I’d better make something which have got not leftover hehehe… nicely done, Ivy.

Oh, I love this speciality! Thanks for the tips…

cheers and have a great weeekend,

Rosa

3. Love the vols au vent. These would have been not onlky perfect little parcels to eat but meet the requirement for foods beginning with the letter “V”.

4. Hopie says:

Those do look delicious! Have a good day in Cyprus! I’m preparing my recipe for bloggeraid…almost ready to go :-)

Is it that easy?????? I have some vol au vents in my pantry that I bought a while ago but still haven’t used them. If it’s so simple… no need to buy more :D. Thanks for sharing Ivy… you always surprise me with new things!!!

6. Dibs says:

How interesting Ivy. I am sure it tastes better than the ready made ones from the supermarket! Will look forward to the recipes for fillings!

7. Lubna Karim says:

Wow looksreally light, flaky and yum.

I love playing around with puff pastry! These are great Ivy and very easy!

9. Joan Nova says:

I’m going with mushrooms for the savory…stew figs for the sweet. Don’t ask why – probably because that’s what I’d like to see in them.

These are very clever Ivy – a great idea!

11. Bunny says:

I love puff pastry Ivy, I love your cut outs! I hope you have a wonderful time away!

12. deeba says:

What a fab idea. I saw these at Dharm’s too, but making phyllo from scratch seems like hard work to me. Am envious that you guys get it ready made. Have a good time in Cyprus Ivy…

Very resourceful of you to use up the trimmed puff pastry. Vols au vent make a 1st course so exciting, many possiblities. Hope you’re having fun in Cyprus.

14. Aparna says:

I really like these, Ivy. The only problem is that I would have to make the puff pastry too and then its not easy anymore.:(

15. […] Making vols au vent is so easy.  All you need is ready made puff pastry.  You thaw it and then with a cookie cutter you make two circles.  In one of them you make a hole in the centre using a smaller cookie cutter and join the two together.  When you bake them, they puff and they become hollow so that you have them ready to fill with a sweet or savory filling.  See step by step instructions here. […]