Pasta dishes combine a lot of qualities: cheap, quick, easy but most of all delicious!
Just a few days before Lent started, I realized that I had a lot of ingredients in my refrigerator that I had to use and looking at what I had, a Carbonara was a perfect choice. I had leftover pancetta from another recipe, eggs, whipping cream, cheese and fresh mushrooms. Although I have posted carbonara before and is a recipe I cook very often I usually make it with bacon or pancetta without the eggs. This time I decided to make the classic recipe to compare and see the difference. Still, I tried to keep it as healthy as possible, discarding all the fat from the pancetta, using only 1 egg and cream and cheeses used were all with low fat.
This scrumptious dish came together in less than half an hour. The egg provided a delicious creamy texture and the pancetta added additional flavour.
This recipe goes to Ruth, of Once upon a Feast, who is celebrating her 2nd Year of Presto Pasta Nights. I’ve been following Ruth and Presto Pasta Nights since I started blogging and I wish I had the time to post a recipe each week. However, on this special occasion I could not but share the joy and wish Ruth for many more Presto Pasta Nights.
Penne alla Carbonara with Mushrooms
- 500 grams penne, fettucine or farfalle
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup of pancetta, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 cream (15%)
- 1 cup of different melting cheese
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 cups button mushrooms sliced
- Cook pasta according to package directions (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a sautéing pan, sauté the pancetta and remove to kitchen towel.
- Discard any fat from the pan an add olive oil and sauté onion and garlic, until translucent. Add mushrooms and peppers and sauté as well.
- Beat egg together with cream. Add the grated cheese, as well as salt and pepper and mix.
- Drain pasta and return to the sautéing pan as well as pancetta.
- Over heat toss the cream and mix quickly so that egg does not curdle.
- Serve with some parsley on top as well as freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,