Penne carbonara with mushrooms

Pasta dishes combine a lot of qualities:  cheap, quick, easy but most of all delicious!

Just a few days before Lent started, I realized that I had a lot of ingredients in my refrigerator that I had to use and looking at what I had, a Carbonara was a perfect choice. I had leftover pancetta from another recipe, eggs, whipping cream, cheese and fresh mushrooms. Although I have posted carbonara before and is a recipe I cook very often I usually make it with bacon or pancetta without the eggs.  This time I decided to make the classic recipe to compare and see the difference.   Still, I tried to keep it as healthy as possible, discarding all the fat from the pancetta, using only 1 egg and  cream and cheeses used were all with low fat.

This scrumptious dish came together in less than half an hour.  The egg provided a delicious creamy texture and the pancetta added additional flavour.

This recipe goes to Ruth, of Once upon a Feast, who is celebrating her 2nd Year of Presto Pasta Nights. I’ve been following Ruth and Presto Pasta Nights since I started blogging and I wish I had the time to post a recipe each week.    However, on this special occasion I could not but share the joy and wish Ruth for many more Presto Pasta Nights.

Penne alla Carbonara with Mushrooms

• 500 grams penne, fettucine or farfalle
  • 2 – 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup of pancetta, cut into 1 cm pieces
  • 1 egg
  • 1  cream (15%)
  • 1 cup of different melting cheese
  • 2 – 3 tablespoons of parsley
  • 2 cups button mushrooms sliced

1. Cook pasta according to package directions (about 15 minutes).
  2. Meanwhile, in a sautéing pan, sauté the pancetta and remove to kitchen towel.
  3.  Discard any fat from the pan an add olive oil and sauté onion and garlic, until translucent. Add mushrooms and peppers and sauté as well.
  4.  Beat egg together with cream.  Add the grated cheese, as well as salt and pepper and mix.
  5. Drain pasta and return to the sautéing pan as well as pancetta.
  6. Over heat toss the cream and mix quickly so that egg does not curdle.
  7.  Serve with some parsley on top as well as freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Fettucine carbonara with Mushrooms

15 Comments on Penne alla Carbonara with Mushrooms

Egg or no egg it still looks delicious Ivy…the mushrooms are a nice touch.

A tasty and comforting dish!

Cheers and have a glorious weekend,

Rosa xoxo

3. Niki says:

Mmm…. definitely looks delicious! I just had carbonara for the first time last week and can’t wait to try your recipe…

4. Aparna says:

I make this without the egg (or bacon, naturally) and use milk with cheese slices. I’m sure this is delicious, but since I have to count those calories, no cream! :)

I love pasta and this lookls creamy delicious.

6. elly says:

Carbonara is one of those dishes that grew on me. I wasn’t crazy about it at first but then I tried it again in Italy and it was so great. yours looks luxurious!

7. This is one of my favourite pasta dishes Sis…next to pesto and potatoes (not necessarily together). Thank you for sharing:D

8. Ruth says:

Thanks for the kind words and I’m very glad you could come to the big Presto Pasta Night birthday bash.

I love your versions of carbonara, with or without the calories!

9. maria says:

Sounds delicious Ivy–love the creamy sauce and the pancetta. Sounds decadent but not over the top.

10. Rosie says:

This has got to be one of my favourite pasta dishes Ivy – takes minutes to make but packed full of flavour!! Have a lovely weekend sweetie!! Rosie x

This looks so creamy and delicious! One of my favorite pasta dishes!

12. There is something impossibly comforting about carbonara. I like that you experiment with it to make it healthier too. :)

13. Melissa says:

Regarding the egg – people make carbonara in so many ways, so I figure, whatever works! It looks delicious. It never occurred to me to put in stuff like mushrooms and peppers. Tasty.

14. Teresa says:

Ivy, what a wonderful dish. I love all things pasta and this recipe looks magnificent. I’ve never added egg to my pasta recipes, but I think I will definitely try it. I haven’t used pancetta very much but it sounds like it would be a welcomed ingredient. Thanks for a great recipe sweetie.

15. Wow, Ivy that looks like a great plate of pasta! Mangia!