I have a few pizza recipes to share with you, as well as a couple of calzone recipes I made recently using the same dough, so before giving the recipes here is the dough I use. I’ve been making pizzas for many years but this is my best pizza dough.
My friends and relatives say that it’s the best crust they’ve ever had. A few minor details make all the difference. I use bread flour instead of all purpose flour, honey instead of sugar and my other secret is to wet the dough with olive oil before rising, which makes a lovely, elastic dough.
Homemade Basic Pizza Dough Makes: 2 pizzas for 30 cm pizza baking tin Ingredients:
- 800 grams bread flour
- 2 packages (16 grams) instant dry yeast or 50 grams fresh yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a bowl add the yeast with 1 tablespoon floor, honey and with half a cup of lukewarm water and mix.Let it stand for 5 minutes until it bubbles.
- Attach the dough paddle to the mixer and add the flour, olive oil and salt and mix.
- Add the yeast mixture, mix and then add the water gradually and mix again until the dough is ready and does not stick on the mixer bowl or your hands. If it is sticky, add more flour.
- Add the remaining olive oil on top of the dough and lift so that it wets the entire dough.
- Cover with cling film and leave it in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- When ready, punch the dough to deflate and knead again for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts and roll out each piece.
- Transfer to an oiled pizza tin.
- Now the pizza dough is ready to receive its toppings.
Apart from making pizza from scratch, how about making pizza with your leftovers?
- Pizza dough
Leftover Bolognaise sauce as the base
- Any other ingredients to enrich it such as mushrooms, bell peppers, onions etc.
- Mozarella or other cheese than melt on top
- Prepare dough as above.
- Grease your baking tin with olive oil and spread the dough.
- Add the leftover bolognaise as the base. Put any other ingredients you like on top and cover with cheese.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C / 400 F and bake until golden, for about half an hour.
Leftover pizza is great for breakfast or as a snack the next day.
Here are a few other recipies I made pizza with leftovers:
All you need for Spetzofai pizza is some cheese on top. The dish itself has sausages and peppers.
Other Relevant Recipes:
Homemade Italian Pizza and Greek Ladenia
Cypriot Pitta Bread
Tiganopsomo (Fried bread)
Whole Wheat Focaccia with Kalamata Olives
Dough for Greek Pies
Dough for Pies with Butter
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,