My dream is to have one in these wood-burning ovens in the future.  Making bread, flaounes, pizza, kleftiko or any other meal you can fit in a wood-fired oven is an experience you will never forget, as it tastes so much better than baking in any other conventional gas or electric oven.

In other countries this may be extinct but in Cyprus having a “fourno (oven) or the small one called fournoui” and a “psistarka” a barbecue is a must.  You can find them in most back yards.  The ones in the picture are in my sister’s back yard.  It’s common to find them in Greece as well mostly in the countryside.  Here in Greece they sell them prefabricated but if I am going to have one, especially the oven, I am going to make it the traditional way.   I know it’s hard work but really, anything that will eventually produce hot, fresh bread, well, is there any effort that would be to much?

Well, I must stop dreaming and for the time being I am still baking in my old oven :)

Bread is made the same all over the world, using flour, yeast (or sourdough), salt and water.  The difference in this Cypriot bread is the starter (prozymi) and the round scoring which characterizes its shape.   This is my second attempt to make Cypriot bread, using my own “prozymi” (starter).  The first time, although it was not very successful it still tasted better than store bought bread.  Continue reading more here.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Comments on Zymoto Psomi (Cypriot Rustic Bread)

A dream oven, indeed. Your bread looks marvelous!

Cheers,

Rosa

2. ellenbcookery says:

My mother used to always speak of her wood fire oven and said bread never tasted better than when she used to make it back home in Lofi, Florina.

3. ellenbcookery says:

Hi Ivy,

I just posted a review on Amazon regarding your book. I truly speak from my heart! I love your recipe book and cannot wait for you to complete your second!

4. Jean says:

Having worked in a wood fire oven a few years back at a five star hotel, I definitely agree about wnating to have one for myself. The pizzas we used to make in it just had a completely different taste altogether!

-Jean
    Jean recently posted..How to be proactive about used tire problemsMy Profile

5. Love this kind of bread, and wish I had one of those ovens in my backyard… that would be the day :-)
    banana wonder recently posted..Stevenswood Resort and Restaurant – MendocinoMy Profile

6. Juliana says:

So interesting this oven…and did you know that is Portuguese we call oven “forno”? So close to “fourno”. I can only imagine the taste of this bread.
    Hope you are enjoying your week Ivy :)
    Juliana recently posted..Curry Chicken with Udon NoodlesMy Profile

7. Zoe says:

I can’t imagine having such a big oven at my backyard! I don’t a backyard at all in my house…

This bread is beautiful and relieve to know I don’t need such a big oven to bake such a beautiful rustic-looking bread.

8. MaryMoh says:

I’m really fascinated by those ovens. I hope you get one of those ovens one day. Bet you will be baking bread everyday and your house will smell really nice 😀
    MaryMoh recently posted..Baby Potatoes And Roast Duck Stir FryMy Profile

9. Ivy, this bread you made looks fantastic! I cannot believe you made it in your electric oven! I would love on of those wood-fired ovens as well, in fact I was contacted by a company that makes them in England following old-world traditions. Fourno is fourn in arabic, too btw!
    tasteofbeirut recently posted..Sumac lemonadeMy Profile

10. Mary says:

Mary recently posted..Fig Mascarpone Dessert PizzaMy Profile

11. Your bread looks absolutely lovely, I’d love an outdoor oven.

12. I’m glad your experiment with the rustic bread was so successful! One of my friends has an outdoor oven built into a brick area in her back yard. I’ve enjoyed fresh pizza from it on summer evenings. An oven like that would be a nice thing to have!

good idea

I have any design too..
    bali wood house

13. I’m glad your experiment with the rustic bread was so successful! One of my friends has an outdoor oven built into a brick area in her back yard. I’ve enjoyed fresh pizza from it on summer evenings. An oven like that would be a nice thing to have!
    bali wood house recently posted..Welcome to Natural House BaliMy Profile